|Tappie A. Villane was elected to the office of Supervisor of Elections in the August 2012 Primary Election. She assumed her elected position as Supervisor in January 2013. Tappie was re-elected without opposition in 2016.
Tappie began with the Elections Office as a Poll Worker in 2000. She joined the staff as the Poll Worker/Polling Place Coordinator in 2005. Prior to working for the Elections Office, Tappie was employed at ARC Gateway, a non-profit organization that serves people with disabilities.
Tappie is a State Certified Supervisor of Elections and also attained a Master Florida Certified Election Professional (MFCEP) designation in 2015.
Tappie is a member of the Santa Rosa, Pace, Navarre and Gulf Breeze Chambers of Commerce. She also holds a BA degree from the University of West Florida in Communication Arts. Tappie is married to Paul and has one daughter, Kaycee.
Duties of the Supervisor of Elections include:
- Conduct all public elections in Santa Rosa County
- Register voters and issue voter registration cards
- Serve as a member of the canvassing board
- Certify election returns to the State Elections Canvassing Commission
- Maintain voter registration rolls by removing voters who are deceased, no longer live in, or for other reasons no longer are eligible to vote in Santa Rosa County
- Accept vote-by-mail (absentee) ballot requests and send, receive and verify vote-by-mail (absentee) ballots
- Qualify candidates for county offices
- Receive candidate and committee campaign treasurer's reports and provide copies to the public upon request
- Send advance notice of elections to voters who are overseas or in the military
- Filing officer for financial disclosure reports from elected and appointed officials
- Make financial disclosure reports available and provides copies upon request
- Layout and print ballots
- Maintain election equipment
- Hire and train poll workers
- Secure polling places
- Maintain statistics on election results, voting history and voter registrations
- Verify signatures for initiative petition and candidate qualifying by petitions
- Redistricting and maintaining precinct information